2012-06-12

facebook security options

6.12: summary:
. I enabled secure connection
so that facebook uses https
to encrypt the info it sends to me .
. while doing that I found an
even more important security feature:
if an attempt is made to log in
from a device I don't usually use,
they will text my cell phone
and ask me what was sent
to ensure the user also has my cell phone
as proof it is really me .

5.22: todo,news.cyb/net.fb/secure connection:
Facebook can be browsed using a secure connection.
While this adds an extra layer of security,
the secure connection (HTTPS)
is not enabled by default.
Go to General Account Settings/Security tab/
Edit Secure Browsing
to access the respective option .
5.23: proj.cyb/net.fb/security options enabled:
    Secure Browsing is currently enabled.
    Login Notifications:
    Email notifications are enabled.
    Login Approvals
    Require me to enter a security code
    each time an unrecognized computer or device
    tries to access my account
    Security code delivery:
        Text to ((my old number))
   Using an Android phone?
    Set up Code Generator to log in securely
    when you can't receive text messages
or access the Internet.
    App Passwords:
You haven't created App Passwords.
    Trusted Friends:
You haven't chosen any trusted friends yet.
    Recognized Devices:
You have 3 recognized devices.
    Active Sessions:
Logged in from Tucson, AZ, US.
Set up Code Generator?
Code Generator lets you approve logins
even when you can't receive text messages
or access the Internet,
by generating security codes directly on your smart phone*.
* Currently available on Android phones.
. I chose [not now]
... but it's not letting me save,
so, I choose ok, let's Set up Code Generator
(even tho' I don't have a smart phone),
now it says I can save my settings .

. another thing I had to do
to not confuse their system
is to not put in a new cell through the security interface;
go back to cell`profile and [add cell],
then find it still says my cell is not verified
even tho' the security gui just did that;
so undo everything by removing that new number;
now input the new number, verify it,
then do the [security code required] option,
choose let's Set up Code Generator
(even tho' I don't have a smart phone),
it reports an error but lets me save my changes .

aq.cyb/net.fb/Login approvals have been turned off for your account:
Facebook notification+pr=pcp=e@facebookmail.com
8:07 AM
You recently removed your primary phone from your account.
Because of this, we turned off login approvals on your account
to ensure that you don't get locked out
when using an unrecognized device to log in.
If you want to use login approvals again,
you can add a mobile phone
and then turn on login approvals again.

Activating allows Facebook Mobile to
send text messages to your phone.
You can receive notifications for friend requests,
messages, Wall posts, and status updates from your friends.
You can also update your status, search for phone numbers,
or upload photos and videos from your phone.
Login Approvals are set up .
You are now required to enter a security code
each time an unrecognized computer or device
tries to access your account.
If you get a new phone:
Be sure to update your mobile settings.
If you lose your phone:
You can always log in using a recognized computer.
If you use Facebook Apps
Set up app passwords to securely log in
to Facebook Apps that aren't eligible for Login Approvals.

No comments: