2012-09-26

.chm to .html conversion

7.14: news.cyb/xp/.chm to .html conversion:
you need a CHM decompiler
(You can use HTML Help Workshop)
[but it seems that is just a dev's api
not a command line tool ...]
counter-suggestion:
. decompile CHM using the built-in command line tool:
hh.exe . eg,
C:\>HH.EXE -decompile D:/output-folder D:/converted.chm
where "decompile-folder" could be simply "."
Decompiling the file produces a slew of
HTML and image files,
together with the table of contents (.hhc) file,
index (.hhk) file, and a few other supporting files.
The only decompiler with any additional features
is KeyTools,
as this can try to rebuild the project (.hhp) file.
You will need this file if you want to recompile the help project.
One thing to note is that the decompile/recompile
isn't a "round-trip" process.
Certain features that the help author added
to the original help file
can't be recovered when you decompile it,
so these may no longer work properly
after you've recompiled.
This is especially true in the area of
context-sensitive help,
which may be broken in the new version of the file.
7.14: cyb/fs/.chm to .html conversion:
web:
. the .chm file type is microsoft's compiled html
and I found there are decompilers for it
on both xp (built-in) and on ubuntu (openware).
proj: done on xp:
. I did it with hh! [@] see snapshot
. to use the terminal without the help of the
[open a terminal here] file menu item
-- where did that go?!
(I need to be in the admin acct) --
use the run box, and type in cmd.exe;
then try the command
(change directory to virtual drive E)
ie (cd E:)
which is really just link to a long pathname;
then in the hh command,
I'll need to mention the drive in the file paths,
and I'll rename the files
to make my command typing easier;
eg, rename "(programming python.chm) to pp.chm,
create a folder named pp,
and then run this command:
hh -decompile e:\pp e:\pp.chm .
. instantly it's filled with html files
-- data liberation !

mis:
. (cd E:) doesn't work?
likely because I don't own that space?

7.14: mis.cyb/xp/
virtual device has strange permissions:

. I have some ms programs that need their installer cd
to be in the cd drive at all times;
so, running these programs over-uses the cd drive,
and also the drive is slowing down these programs .
. the fix is to copy the cd to a folder,
and then use a command to
associate that folder with some spare drive letter .
. now I want to use that drive as a temp drive;
because when doing commands that use pathnames
it's easier to type in E:\
than C:\documents and settings\myacct\ .
. but I'm having trouble with the permissions,
and they are not found under properties?
I'll have to check a dos cookbook .
. I thought it was the admin's,
so the user would only allow reading not deleting;
but, xp is not letting the admin delete files either?
. so,
now nobody can delete anything from E:,
but anyone can add to it,
and move things within it;
eg, I created a trash folder,
and put all my done work into that folder .
todo:
. the next thing to try is removing the startup script
that creates the virtual device links .
. maybe it will have more permissions then .

mis.cyb/xp/
command line locks the current folder:

. it would not let me move one done folder to trash folder
because it's in use?
the command line's current folder was set to that,
so I moved it out of there (cd ..)
and then I could move it .

mis.cyb/xp/
command line output confused by virtual cd drive:

. I asked if I could (cd doneDir; rm *.*)
and it said it didn't recognized that command;
but it was supposed to remove files, and it did!
no it thought it did,
the finder shows it's still there .
. I can say (cd e:; del trash)
then I can reply sure to the "(are you sure?),
and it comes back having done nothing .

No comments: